Mrs. Brittany Sands
Serving students with the last name L-Z
Mrs. Sands graduated from Kell High School in Marietta, GA. From Kennesaw State University she earned her degree in Human Services, followed by her masters in School Counseling from Georgia State University. She has been a school counselor for 6 years, and worked with children and families for many years before that. Her experiences include Pre-K, elementary, and middle school age children.
She has lived in Georgia, Virginia, and now Florida! Her husband is in the US Navy, which is what brought them here. They both love the beach town and people here, and plan to stay for many years to come! Spending quality time with the people she loves is her main and most valued "hobby." When the weather is right she wants nothing more than to be outside, loves cooking, traveling, watching movies, and helping others. Her favorite poem is Desiderata!
Mrs. Sands doesn't think there is a job better suited for her passions!
Ms. Candace Boldin
Serving students with the last name A-K
Ms. Candace Boldin is a product of Okaloosa County schools and a Fort Walton Beach High School graduate. She graduated from the University of Florida with a bachelor's and master's degree in education. GO GATORS! She has worked in education for 17 years and taught various grades in St. Johns County, Florida and Lexington County, South Carolina.
She completed her school counseling coursework at Troy University . She has been a school counselor for 5 years and has worked in the guidance offices at Shoal River Middle School and Bruner Middle School. She is a Youth Mental Health First Aid trainer who enjoys learning new things and being involved in the community. Although she was raised overseas, she considers herself to be a southern girl and calls Fort Walton Beach her hometown.
We are honored to be your child’s counselors and look forward to building a partnership with you in order to help your child be as successful as possible!
School Counselor beliefs:
· All students have the right to be treated with respect.
· All children have the right to learn in a safe, supportive & nurturing environment.
· All students will become problem solvers and lifelong learners.
· Parents, teachers, and community members must work together for the good of the child to enhance student performance.
· All students can become productive learners and learn to accept personal responsibilities.
· All students can learn to make positive life choices and develop appropriate coping skills.
· School counselors can help students overcome barriers to learning
Everyone needs some help from time to time, and your child’s school counselor is always there to offer support.
Individual Counseling—solution focused sessions can be set up for students experiencing problems at home or school that significantly impact their ability to learn.
Small Group Counseling—for students who need additional support and would benefit from learning and practicing new skills in a controlled, safe environment.
There are many different reasons that a student may need to see the counselor. They include:
· To learn positive coping skills
· Problems at home such as family changes, or a death in the family
· Academic guidance -To get help with organizational skills, course selection, study skills, test taking skills, or time management
· Learning coping strategies for anxiety
· Getting help with making and keeping friends
· Help with making responsible choices – Problem solving
· Because they just need to talk to someone
· And so much more!
Counseling…It’s Not Just for Kids!
Taking care of yourself is a part of taking care of your kids!
Your child’s school counselor can provide information when it comes to parenting and finding community resources for your family. Please feel free to reach out if you:
· Have concerns about your child
· Would like recommendations for resources to parenting assistance or helping your child with special needs
Although we may not have all of the answers, we will be able to point you in the right direction to make sure you have the support that you need!
Don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions or concerns you would like to discuss so that we can better help your child be successful at school!